Information about the 2017 Container Analysis Environments Workshop hosted by the Data Exploration Lab and NDS.
The idea of this workshop emerged from the 7th NDS Workshop as an opportunity for groups leveraging container-based technologies in research computing environments to build community, share information and address common challenges.
We are proposing the following themes (please feel free to suggest other topics):
- Users/researchers and why they are using container-based environments (e.g., consistent environments, packaging applications, shifting computation around)
- Interactive vs non-interactive use cases including approaches to workflow management, orchestration, scalability, and moving analysis to HPC environments
- Data/storage focusing on models for managing and exposing data to containers
- Challenges/what new use cases are we seeing?
The goal will be to approach this from both user and system perspectives, focusing on the science/research cases and how technical solutions are addressing these needs.
- One output of the workshop will be a report summarizing common use cases, best practices, and challenges supporting container-based analysis and computing environments.
See Container Analysis Environments Participants.
The format of the workshop will be presentations mixed with discussions, working groups, or deep-dive presentations. The working groups will be self-organized, based on the goals and needs of participants. Each person/group will present for ~20 minutes. Participants will be from a variety of backgrounds. Presentations should cover supported science cases, overall systems architecture, and any challenges/new directions related to supporting container-based analysis and computing environments.
Below is the latest workshop schedule. Presentations and times are subject to change. Please contact us with any dietary restrictions.
Monday August 14th (tentative)
The first day we will focus on participant presentations with significant Q&A and discussion time. Topics that emerge from the presentations will be considered for breakout/deep-dive discussions on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Tuesday August 15th
Tentative: Based on discussions from Monday, we will organize breakout/deep-dive discussions for topics of interest (feel free to suggest). Additional presentations may be scheduled, depending on participation:
Topics from discussion:
- Integration with HPC environments
- Interactive anlaysis environments
Integration with workflow systems (not enough expertise to discuss)
- Shared storage across containers
- Managing images/archiving preservation
|9:00 - 9:30||Summary/takeaways from Monday?|
|9:30 - 12:00|
Integration with HPC environments
|12:00 - 1:00||Lunch|
|1:00 - 3:00|
Demos (Agave, WT, SciServer)
Shared storage across containers
|3:00 - 3:15||Break|
|3:15 - 5:00|
Managing images/archiving presentation
Interactive analysis environments
Wednesday August 16th
Tentative: We will use the morning to conclude any break-out work and to consolidate group output (presentations, documents, etc) for the workshop report.
|9:00 - 9:30||Discussion/planning|
|9:30 - 11:30||Breakout groups|
|11:30 - 12:00||Closing|
Where to eat
A few recommendations for places to eat in Champaign/Urbana: